Monday, June 24, 2013

My Ex Boss face booked me today.  He wrote something nice. "How are you doing?  Hopefully the answer is "Very Well" Take care, Farrah"

Now, I love this man.  I have loved him since we worked together so many years ago. We worked with my kid's Dad.  I respect the Hell out of him, he's one of the best writers in the business, and it kinda pisses me off that more people don't know his name.  He has more class than to put it on his projects in bold letters.  "Tyler Perry's" Meet The Browns".  When did the writer get top billing?  They mostly don't want it.  I would shout his name out, but I don't even feel like I should write it on my silly blog.

But, here goes....Dave Hackel

DAVE HACKEL!!!!!!

This man called my new boss when he found out I was going to do another show, and told him that he would enjoy working with me.  Who does that?  Dave Hackel.  So, I'm having the "lunch" with my new boss, ( very nervous, by the way ),  and he tells me about the phone call.  I wanted to cry.  I wanted to go back to work with Mr. Hackel.  I didn't want to be sitting there pretending to enjoy my new boss's company.  I didn't like him.  We ate our prosciutto and risotto.  Then spent the next 3 years together.  Great years, ( 2 shows ), and loved him too!  All because of Dave Hackel.

Do you ever wish you could have a day?  One where you listened?  One where you saw the smallest of gifts, a phone call, or risotto.  How about a song.  One that you hear in your head when your trying to sleep, and the lyrics go over and over in your mind...Do you wish you could spend just a moment with somebody that changed your life, with out knowing it.  Just to look into his eyes and say, "Thank you".

When I got that smally small, that insignificant face book today, it was like I got that moment.  But here's the funny thing....He wrote what I had to say.  He is still writing for me.

"Very Well" -Dave Hackel

I wanted to end with that, but just had this picture in my head of Mr. Hackel.  Tommy Church, one of my co-stars used to blow his lines on purpose, to make the live audience laugh.  Man, would that piss Dave off.  The crowd would be laughing, and the actors, and crew would kinda be going, "Come, on, Tom, let's get it right so we can go home".  All the writers had scripts in their hands, constantly changing the lines, even with a live audience, so I would look to Dave, and he would WRING his script, like a wet towel.  Ooh, not so good.  He got mad, as he should.  No one knows about how much money it cost to go over time on a tv show.  Tommy Church didn't care, but Dave Hackel was producing and had to keep us in our budget.

Did I mention that I love and respect this man?








2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh---and as director/producer Ken Levine described Farrah on his "Wings" Blog----"SHE IS A TOTAL DOLL"

    ReplyDelete
  2. D, thanks for the reminder. Ken, Dave, Adam, Chris, Ian, Steven, so many writers, so little time. They were the best, still are. I wish I could go back, with Mark, for just one day.

    ReplyDelete