Saturday, June 22, 2013

"You're a has been"- H

One of my best friends said this to me a few days ago.   He meant it as a compliment.  His ex wife, he refereed to..."She's a Never Been".  Ouch.  So, I would rather be a has been, than a never been.  We all give up things.  He gave up so much to be a Dad.  I can't remember NOT being a Mom.  I think of that Ole Life...what fun it was.  The nice clothes, clean home, out to dinner, red carpet, limos.  It reminds me of a quote that my sister and I used to laugh about...

The Days Are Tough
The Nights Are Long
And The Work Is Emotionally Demanding....
But, It's All Worth It
Because The Rewards....
Are Transparent, Shallow, and Meaningless
-Unknown

Anytime I miss Hollywood, I think of that.

I may be a "has been", but my kids have these amazing artistic genes from me and their father. And will go further with them.  I was on the cover of magazines.  Now, I'm recycling them to plant trees at our school.  I guess, what I'm saying is, my days are tougher, and I don't get the dresses and shoes, but  I get the snuggles of the coolest boys in the world, and that, my friend, you cannot buy, you cannot plan, there's no picture of you doing the best thing you've ever done on the cover of "People".  You do it for all the reasons that are in your heart, and it's not transparent, or shallow.

So much more meaningful.


7 comments:

  1. I use to wonder if you missed acting and Hollywood. Then I saw the pictures that you have posted
    of you and your children and I can tell by the look
    and the expressions on your face that you have never been happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm a great actor! I fooled you. I'm joking. I am happy with these little buggers. Thank you for the comment. I'm still getting used to writng my thoughts down, but I'm kinda lik'n it...I don't get a whole lot of grown up interaction. This is like a converation without the person that talks back to you., Thank you, Chuck....you know I love that name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my sweet friend--You are a "Still Are" as far as I am concerned--as an Actor & a Mommy--don't ever doubt that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don, don't make me burst into song....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, "Dancing Queen" by Abba--It's posted on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I loved this post. A "has been"? So many people look at life that way, as if fame and money are the ultimate achievements. And so many people don't take seriously what *should* be more important than anything: their kids.

    My wife and I are about your age. We have more goals that we'd like to accomplish in life, of course. But we often remind each other that -- worse case scenario -- we could fail to accomplish them, but that doesn't matter as long as we are the best parents we can possibly be.

    Nothing like you, but I have some fame in my circle, fans and all that. And that's nice. But it doesn't hold a candle to my little boy giving me a hug or telling me that I'm his "super-hero".

    Anyway... thanks for the nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sorry to learn that the height of your fame occurred when you were in your twenties and you didn't continue to soar higher into Hollywood stardom like I thought you deserved to. But it's obvious from your Blog that those early achievements were nothing compared to the joy you get from your everyday life with your family and friends. So I tip my cap to you for focusing on what's most important to you and what makes you truly happy. Even the most famous and revered people in the world have said that it doesn't hold a candle to having a family and friends who love them and whom they love. It seems to me like you're an "always-will-be" when it comes to the people who know you best.

    ReplyDelete